How to check if you laptop overheats and how to prevent your laptop from overheating in the future
If the following symptoms apply to your laptop then it is likely that it is overheating:
- Your laptop`s cooling fans are working continuously, are noisy and always on high speed
- Laptop shuts down randomly, perhaps after 5-10 minutes of operation
- When being idle your laptop works ok, but as soon as you start using it, it shuts down
- Random lines appear on the screen after 5-10 minutes of operation
- Laptop freezes or it displays a blue screen (This can also be caused by an OS problem, Virus infection or Hard drive problem)
- If your laptop is overheating that it should be taken to a specialist computer shop where the problem can be fixed. Also they will look for other signs of damage caused by overheating
Laptops have a higher rate of failure, when they get too hot, because heat can damage the components inside and the chipset connections on the motherboard. Overheating can be prevented by following some simple steps.
If your laptop is noisy or it gets hot, if it shuts down or if it bluescreens, crashes and freezes than most likely it is already overheating. Also your laptop could freeze, restart, crash or bluescreen because of of a virus infection, hard drive problem or even an isue with one of chips on the motherboard. Our technicians at CSD can diagnose to see where the problem is coming from and fix it for you.
- Generally, insufficient cooling is what creates overheating problems. These are some tips about how to prevent your laptop from overheating
- Don’t use your laptop on soft surfaces such as a sofa, carpeting or pillow and avoid keeping it in your lap ! Any vents located on the bottom of your laptop will be blocked and airflow will be reduced causing it to overheat.
- Use a laptop cooler to provide a solid, flat surface to allow proper airflow.
- Don`t clean your laptop using a vacuum because it may cause ESD (Electrostatic discharge ) and damage the components to your laptop.
- Keep your laptop away from heat and shut it down especially if it is summer and you want to leave it in your car.