Signs of a faulty hard drive on Windows or Mac OS
Signs of a faulty hard drive :
- Computer is slow
- Applications crash or freeze
- Strange sounds
- Computer displays a blue or grey screen
- Windows or Mac OS does not start or boot up properly
- You can hear clicking sounds
- You are experiencing loss of data
Many times different problems with computers can have the same symptoms. A slow computer can mean that the hard drive might be damaged but it can also mean that the operating system is infected with a virus. To be sure about what the problem is, what caused it and how to prevent it your hard drive needs to be taken to a specialist computer shop !
How to protect your computer`s hard drive and how to avoid data loss:
- Always avoid shocks. A hard drive`s internal mechanisms are very sensitive and shocks can damage it easily. If you need to move it around (e.g: a hard drive inside a laptop or external hard drive) do so with care, don`t throw it on the table, but place it down gently
- Be careful about how hot it gets. If it is an internal hard drive, make sure that your laptop`s cooling system works ok. If it is an external hard drive…well… don`t keep it close to where the hot air comes out of your laptop. Or close to any heat sources.
- Old age and normal wear and tear have influences on your hard drive`s speed and health as well. So if your laptop was bought a long time ago, make a backup of your files on a different hard drive( preferably an external one, that you don`t use very often)